Walker Leader Training
Community Walking Leader Training Level 1
Walking Leader Training is primarily aimed at people wishing to lead a walking group or promote walking in their community or workplace. The course comprises of a weekend of training followed by a 4 walk task to try out your new Walking Leader skills. Irish Heart Foundation, the HSE and Kildare Sports Partnership subsidise the Walking Leader Training weekend and there is a nominal cost of €50. The course fee will cover your tutor costs and materials. It will also include lunch on both days.
The training weekend
All courses take place over a Saturday 9am - 5pm and Sunday 9am - 1pm.
- Physical activity guidelines for adults and how they relate to walking
- The main elements of a health-enhancing walking session
- Prescribing walking programmes suitable for people of different fitness levels
- Advice on issues such as posture, technique, stretching, intensity, clothing, etc.
- Safety issues and risk assessment
- Planning walking sessions and programmes
- How to start your own walking group
- Practical walking sessions Gear The training weekend involves outdoor practical sessions on both Saturday and Sunday, please dress appropriately for the weather and wear comfortable walking shoes. A spare change of clothes/shoes is recommended.
4 walk task
Once you complete the training you will be set the challenge of leading 4 walks within your community to practice your new skills. You will be provided with a logbook to record your progress for the challenge. Once we receive your completed logbook you will be certified as an Irish Heart Foundation Walking Leader.
All courses are subject to demand and will only proceed if the minimum participant number is reached.