skip to main content
  • 045 980200
  • Head Office: Áras Chill Dara Devoy Park Naas Co Kildare W91 X77F


Odour Control


Odours from Landspreading of Slurry and other Organic Fertilisers

Kildare County Council acknowledges that landspreading of agricultural slurries is a normal part of agricultural practices, and that some level of odour can be expected from slurry spreading.  These activities are regulated by the European Communities (Good Agricultural Practice for the Protection of Waters) Regulations 2022 (S.I. No. 113 of 2022, as amended) and the following link


Spreading of Biosolids

'Article 14 of the Urban Waste Water Treatment Directive (UWWTD) states that 'Sludge arising from Waste Water Treatment shall be re-used whenever appropriate. Disposal routes shall minimise the adverse effects on the environment'. Ireland is now fully compliant with EU Sewage Sludge policy and sludge management standards have been developed which utilise best international practice and are in excess of those set by the EU.'(Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage website)

Under the Waste Management (Use of Sewage Sludge in Agriculture) Regulations, 1998, as amended in 2001, each Local Authority is required to establish and maintain a register known as the ‘Sludge Register’. To facilitate this, a supplier of sludge for use in agriculture in the County of Kildare shall notify Kildare County Council of the quantities of sludge produced and the quantities supplied, the composition and properties of the sludge, the treatment which the sludge has undergone, the name and address of each recipient of the sludge and location of each site where the sludge is to be used.

In addition, the European Union (Good Agricultural Practice for Protection of Waters) Regulations 2022 (S.I. No. 113 of 2022), gives legal effect to Ireland’s national Nitrates Action Programme under the EU Nitrates Directive. Compliance with the Regulations requires protection of waters against pollution from agricultural sources and management of manures and fertilisers. In addition, Kildare County Council requires that all sludges comply with the Code of Good Practice for the Use of Biosolids in Agriculture.

The Waste Management (Facility Permit and Registration) Regulations 2007 (S.I. 821 of 2007) amend Section 51(2) (a) of the Waste Management Act, 1996, and along with amendment S.I. No. 86 of 2008, deal with the recovery of Sewage Sludge in Agriculture. ‘Agriculture’, as defined in Section 6.1 of this Protocol and in the Waste Management (Use of Sewage Sludge in Agriculture) Regulations S.I. 148 of 1998 as amended, refers only to the growing of commercial food crops (including food crops for stock-rearing purposes). Use of sewage sludge in silviculture and biomass (nonfood) crops are addressed in these recent Regulations, S.I. 821 of 2007 as amended, which came into operation on 1st June 2008.

In summary suppliers of sewage sludge are required to:

  • Seek written acceptance for the suitability of spreadlands by submitting a Nutrient Management Plant to the Local Authority in whose area the sludge is to be recovered,
  • Satisfy themselves as to whether a Waste Licence, Permit or Certificate of Registration, is also required for their proposed spreading activity (see Section 4.1), and apply to the relevant authority where necessary (Environment Section, Kildare County Council Tel:045-980588)
  • Apply to the Local Authority in whose area the sludge is to be stored, as required under the Waste Management (Registration of Sewage Sludge Facility) Regulations 2010 Supply the information required for the Sludge Register to the Local Authority, in a format and frequency required by the Local Authority
  • Ensure that vehicles transporting the waste hold a Waste Collection Permit as required under the Waste Management (Collection Permit) Regulations 2001 and 2008
  • Investigate whether the activity of spreading, or the storage of sewage sludge requires Planning Permission. Kildare County Council Planning Department should be contacted to seek advice on, and if necessary, obtain, either a Certificate of Exemption, or Planning Permission. Please note that An Bord Pleanala has adjudged that the spreading on Willow does not require Planning Permission.


All the above shall comply with the relevant legislation, codes of practice and as outlined within our guidance documents



Odours from other sources

Complaints in relation to odours should be made preferably in written format and submitted to the Council via post or email.  However, this is not essential, and a complaint can be made by contacting the Environment Section initially by phone.  Should additional information be required the complainant may be asked to submit details in writing or to keep a log of the ongoing issues.

Once all required information has been received, technical staff in the Environment section shall review and decide on a suitable course of action.