Environment Contacts:


045 980588

045 980587

Litter hotline

1800 243 143



What about Radon? Can I test for this gas in my home?


Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas which originates from the decay of uranium in rocks and soils. 

It is colourless, odourless, and tasteless and can only be measured using special equipment. 


When radon surfaces in the open air, it is quickly diluted to harmless concentrations, but when it enters an enclosed space, such as a house or other building, it can sometimes accumulate to unacceptably high concentrations.


Radon decays to form tiny radioactive particles, some of which remain suspended in the air.  When inhaled into the lungs these particles give a radiation dose which may damage cells in the lung and eventually lead to lung cancer.


Since July 1998, every new house is required to incorporate some degree of radon preventive measures at the time of construction in accordance with the revised Building Regulations.  The degree of protection required is dependent upon whether or not the site is located within a High Radon Area.


To learn more about radon, and how to test for this gas in the home, contact the Environmental Protection Agency and view their website for further information.




Phone:                           1800 300 600

Email:                            radon@epa.ie