Do you have a dog? If so, you need a licence. Buy one at any of An Post - Post Offices countrywide or online at www.licences.ie
How does it work?
Under the Control of Dogs Act 1986, which was amended in 1992, all dog owners are required to have a dog licence.
To get your Dog Licence all you need to do is drop into your local Post Office where you can buy it over the counter or visit licences.ie.
What type of licence do you need?
- Individual dog licence – covers one dog for a period of 12 months
- General dog licence – for owners of kennels for a period of 12 months
- Lifetime of the dog licence – for the lifetime of the dog for which the licence is issued
Most people will need the individual licence. You have to be over 16 years of age to hold a dog licence.
Where do I get a Dog Licence?
- Individual dog licences (€20/ dog/ year) at your local An Post - Post Office or online at www.licences.ie
- Lifetime dog licences (€140/ dog) at your local An Post - Post Office or online at www.licences.ie
- General licences are available from the Environment Department, Kildare County Council - Tel.: 045 980588
Dogs which do not require a licence
Guide dogs for the blind do not require licensing
- Dogs which are in the country for less than 30 days do not require licensing.
Some breeds have specific regulations
The breed of dog is not considered important, but some breeds have specific regulations about leashing, muzzling, etc, in public places.
If you are getting a rescue dog from an animal shelter or charity, you will usually need to have the licence in advance.
- Individual €20.00
- General €400.00
- Lifetime €140.00
Retain your licence for inspection.
The Council’s Dog Warden Service is based at Portersize, Ballitore
Tel.: (059) 8623388 / email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Buying a Dog Licence online:
- If you don’t already have an account select Register and complete the short registration form and click the Register button
- You will receive an Account Activation email. Click on the Activate button in this email. You will be brought directly to the application form you selected
- Complete the form. Please note all compulsory fields, marked with a red asterisk, must be completed before you can pay for and submit your application
- When you submit the form and pay you will receive a confirmation email notification
- Your licence should issue to you by post within 10 working days
- A copy of your application is available to view by clicking My Applications
Please click on the relevant link below to access online system:
General Licence (More than 20 Dogs)
Please Note: Strong Customer Authentication (SCA)
How you use your payment card online is changing from 1st January, 2021
Here at Kildare County Council, you will notice some changes when using your payment card on our website.
You will be asked to provide additional verification to confirm it’s really you using your card. This is an extra layer of security called Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) and is being rolled out in order to keep your card safe and secure, in accordance with the EU Payments Services Directive 2 (PSD2).
SCA requires banks to check that payments are being made by the correct cardholder and not a fraudster, by asking customers for additional methods of identification such as; cardholder address/mobile number/email address.
We have been asked by your bank to facilitate these security checks. If you experience any difficulties while authorising your payment to us, please contact you own bank as you may need to update your cardholder address/mobile number/email address on their records.
Email: email@example.com Telephone: 1890 200090 or 065 9080207
Change of details:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone 045 980205