skip to main content
  • 045 980200
  • Head Office: Áras Chill Dara Devoy Park Naas Co Kildare W91 X77F

Building Control

Building and Development
Control Contacts:

Energy Efficiency and BER Certificates

A Building Energy Rating (BER) is required if a building is offered for sale or for rent.

If you plan on selling or renting a property a Building Energy Rating (BER) is required.

A BER certificate indicates your building's energy performance. It is similar to the energy label for household appliances.

The certificate rates your building on a scale of A-G. A-rated homes are the most energy efficient and will tend to have the lowest energy bills. G-rated are the least energy efficient.

The Building Control Authority has powers to enforce compliance with the regulations. Further information may be found here.

Note: The information contained here is intended to present a guide and is not a definitive legal interpretation of the building control laws.