Registering to Vote/Updating my Details
The Electoral Reform Act 2022 brought in a number of changes in relation to the way we can register to Vote and make changes to our electoral record.
- Register to vote
- Complete your existing record with your PPSN, date of birth and Eircode
- Make any changes to your name or address
- 16-17 years can now pre-register and will automatically be added to the electoral register when they turn 18.
Even if your details haven’t changed everyone is being asked to check and complete their details (by adding their PPSN, date of birth and Eircode).
Hard copy forms only need to be used where the applicant:
- doesn’t have a PPSN
- want to update your citizenship associated with their elector status
- want to apply for a special or postal vote
- no fixed abode
- want to make a third-party request for a change to the register
- has been requested to do so by your local authority.
Forms can be found at: www.checktheregister.ie/en-IE/forms
You may be eligible for a postal vote or special voting arrangements in certain circumstances. There are certain criteria which must be met for each circumstance and these are outlined on the relevant forms.
Postal vote applications are available in the following circumstances;
- Where due to illness or disability you are unable attend your polling station on polling day.
- Where because of your work or because you are studying full-time in the State,you are unable to attend your designated polling station on polling day.
- Diplomats serving abroad.
- Whole time members of the Defence forces
- Members of the Garda Síochána
- Application for a postal vote for prisoners detained in prison.
- Application for a postal vote for if you are employed by the Returning officer for an electoral event.
- A person whose safety may be at risk can apply to be an anonymous elector and they would also vote by post.
Forms to be able to apply for a postal vote are found at: www.checktheregister.ie/en-IE/forms
No Fixed Abode
If you do not have an address and you want to register to vote or update your information on the electoral register, please complete an ERF2 form. A copy of this application form can be found at www.checktheregister.ie/en-IE/forms
All completed application forms should be returned to Register of Electors,Kildare County Council,Devoy Park,Naas, Co.Kildare.
FAQ’s to assist you with this process can be found here Check the Register.