Disposing of vehicles
Regulations have been put in place to ensure that old vehicles are properly recycled and not just abandoned by the side of the road. The key aspect of this End of Life Vehicle regulation (ELV) is that you cannot be charged for disposing of the car. In effect, you pay a levy when you buy a new car and this covers the cost of finally disposing of it in future. Note that there may be a charge for collecting a vehicle.
In Kildare, the following Authorised Treatment Facilities (ATFs) currently operate. These are the only locations in Kildare that cars may be dismantled. They are:
- All Spares (Kildare) Ltd., Ballysax, The Curragh, Co. Kildare. Tel: (045) 456702, (045) 441453
- Copart Vehicle Auctions Ireland Limited, Big Bog, Castledermot, Co. Kildare. Tel: 059 9144889
- Corcoran Auto Body Works Ltd, Unit 2 Pine Road, Tougher Business Park, Naas, Co Kildare
- Kellys N4 Recovery, Killbrook, Enfield, Co. Kildare, Tel.: 046 9541293, Fax: 046 9541474, mob: 087 2423384/087 6718412, Email: email@example.com
- Kilcock Car Dismantlers, Laragh, Kilcock, Co. Kildare, Tel.: 01 6289160 or 6285671 Fax: 01 6270797 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: www.kilcockcardismantlers.com
- Wilton Scrap Metals Unit, M1 Osberstown Industrial Park, Caragh Rd, Naas, Co. Kildare 045 89 6369, www.wilton-recycling.ie
These facilities "depollute" the vehicle- removal of all fluids, batteries, catalytic convertors and any asbestos. Then the metal and the recyclable plastics are separated for recycling.
If vehicles are abandoned, the last registered owner is legally responsible for it, so if you sell a car it is vital that you complete the ownership details. It is the owners responsibility to get the vehicle to an ATF. Once the vehicle has been scrapped, you will receive a certificate to this effect.